Plans for a single Martin Luther King Jr. parade divide southern Dallas leaders | Dallas Morning News

In 2016, Dallas will see a single Martin Luther King Day parade instead of the separate parades on Saturday and Monday that have dueled for decades, city officials confirmed this week.RelatedCaraway’s campaign bus peppered with bulletsBut the push for a single parade has exposed old and deep political divisions in southern Dallas and sowed bitter accusations and counter-accusations among some involved in the process.

The Blair family, founders of the Elite News – a traditional black newspaper – appear to have lost hosting rights to the Monday parade that they founded and ran for nearly 30 years. Politics is to blame, said Darryl Blair, the newspaper’s founder.“There has been a hijacking,” he said, pointing the finger at city staff and a political rival in former council member Dwaine Caraway.

City staff members and Caraway adamantly denied that.

City officials said Blair never applied for a parade permit and that he is deeply in debt to the city for unpaid fees from last year’s parade.

Caraway insisted he’s had no involvement at all.

Read the rest at: Plans for a single Martin Luther King Jr. parade divide southern Dallas leaders | | Dallas Morning News

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s